For Immediate Release
- Dec. 7, 2010
EDMONTON, ALBERTA — Over $150,000 has been invested by SnowSeekers in the past 12 months to bring snow seekers around the globe a smart phone application that unlocks the best of Western Canada’s winter destinations.
“Our focus groups told us they wanted all the bells and whistles in this app and that they wanted it for free. I am confident we are delivering on their request,” said Jim Barr (aka Doc Pow), president of SnowSeekers.
“Last season the app acted as a digital guidebook, this new 2.0 version will be more of a digital concierge,” said Barr. “This year’s app really takes you by the hand and directs you to where you need to go and what you need to do in order to maximize your time in Western Canada. And that goes for both locals and international travellers.”
• The guides are GPS sensitive delivering real-time information to the traveller as they are in X destination. It acts as a great pre-planner too as you can thumb through any of the destinations before even setting out.
• A digital coupon book along with push notifications of exclusive offers. That push feature services powder hounds in a big way by delivering a message should the destination or destinations you follow receive over five cms of snow in the last 24 hours. “This note with a little alarm will land on your phone around 7 a.m., just in time to get you out of bed and into the POW,” says Barr.
• A real-time heat map allowing travellers to check into their hot spot of choice, each destination featuring a comprehensive list of pubs, clubs and night spots. “One of the big requests we had from our focus groups was the app should unlock special events and the hot locations in town,” explains Barr. Check-in to the location you are at or the location you are going to be so other travellers can look at the map and know “what’s hot.”
• Comprehensive guidebook listings –“We've invested over 800 man hours to develop shopping, accommodations, après, nightlife and dining directories for the 19 destinations represented in the app,” said Barr. Includes Google Maps, descriptions, phone numbers and web addresses.
• Other features include current weather supplied by The Weather Network, snow conditions, a digital trail map and the app’s chocked full of locals’ tips.
Through the support of the Alberta Innovates - Technology Futures program and The National Research Council of Canada, SnowSeekers partnered with one of North America’s leading mobile application developers, Calgary-based Robots & Pencils, resulting in this free application for iPhone, iTouch, iPad, BlackBerry and Android set to launch in stages starting this month. The iPhone, iTouch and iPad version is available on the iTunes now.
Launched September 2009, SnowSeekers’ first entry into the mobile market, the 1.0 SnowSeekers Go-Guide iPhone app, was recognized by Digital Alberta as a finalist for “Best New App” in the province. However SnowSeekers, one of North America’s leading snow-minded new media companies, isn’t a company that rests on its laurels.
“One of the reasons we’re so excited about this application is that it allowed us to work with Robots & Pencils and Michael Sikorsky,” said Barr. Sikorsky has been deemed an ‘Internet revolutionary’ by Profit magazine, and a ‘CEO to watch’ by CNN Money.
In addition to speaking at conferences throughout the world, he has also spoken at Harvard Business School, MIT, and Stanford. Selected as the #4 best Web2.0 Company across Canada by Backbone Magazine and KPMG. Robots & Pencils continues to work with its clients to release apps reaching the top downloaded list the world over.
“What we’ve built here stands unique because of the thoughts on how to use mobile + social features with a self-server ad program, it all added up to brilliance for us,” said Sikorsky.
SnowSeekers and Robots are hell bent on offering the best snow-minded app on the market.
SnowSeekers’ goal is to produce new-media efforts to further its community and produce exciting snow-minded content. That goal is achieved through quality content production and delivery on a variety of Alberta and British Columbia’s winter destinations across TV, online, smartphones and through its thriving on-line community.
Since launching in January of 2009, SnowSeekers has been acknowledged by the Alberta and Federal Governments as one of the country’s most innovative companies.
Contact: Jim Barr (aka Doc Pow); President- SnowSeekers
For additional details on the app please visit, www.snowseekers.ca/app.
Winter is here and the snow is in the mountains. Click here for winter driving tips and get their safe.Read more
Build your epic ski bucket list, win prizes and more! Learn more
Not sure what resort to visit next? Our Resort Recommender will tell you where to go, based on what you want. Check it out